I suggest you ...

Improve parking on campus

Build permit parking lots/garages for those that commute in; we would gladly pay $100+ per semester to avoid the hassle of finding a spot on campus. Limit how long a car can park on Ivinson, 9th, and Willet. Parking is the single most frustrating thing as a student.

695 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  Adminasuwgov (Admin, University of Wyoming) responded  · 

The ASUW Student Outreach and Policy Committee has been hard at work completing more in depth research on this issue. Senator Kadi Cooley from the College of Arts & Science, the Chair of this Committee, has put together a Status Report which details this research. Please reference the Status Report from Senator Cooley for details regarding some recommendations of the Committee to improve parking on the University of Wyoming campus here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxvHE7ovI2jQTTJTQ09uT2ZYVEk/view?usp=sharing. The ASUW Student Government will continue to implement a few of their recommendations. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the ASUW Student Government at asuwgov@uwyo.edu. We will periodically update this issue with any progress made.

ASUW Director of Institutional Development Robert West

17 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Theodore L. Schueler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this has been an issue since before the parking lot was removed around prexies pasture. and its funny they mention the in depth research when they are planning on removing the parking at frat mall. the plan is to have all student parking be at the lots so you have to take the buses. this information is available in the University of Wyoming Long Range development plan. they even contracted a company called MIG to help them design it.

• Gale M. Brow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The parking on this campus is abhorrent! I understand that the University is getting major dollars to contract out the bus system to an outside corporation, but the fact that one can not even come close to parking on this campus is very sad indeed! I imagine that it is great to know that there are not 5,000 26-year olds or below that age driving within the direct area of the campus - but, this is very troublesome for all of the students on this campus. The fact that the busses are not able to make as many drops as previously, due to the construction is also a great problem. The CC bus route, barely does a roll-by stop over by the maintenance. Twice now, while less than a bus length's distance from the bus, the driver has simply driven away and has at best slowed the bus down, slid the doors open and then slammed them back shut and driven away! This issue needs to be seriously taken a look at and not just at how much money that the university can make by not constructing some type of parking structures.

• Jeffrey Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may be a little out of the way, but the area that was just demolished behind the Agriculture Building would be a perfect spot for a parking structure that is at least 6 stories tall. This would not be an eye sore because it is surrounded by 6 story buildings. This would allow professors and students of Edu, Ag, Engineering, STEM (New), Geo, Anth, and Petro Engr quick access parking. Within the plans, there could be walkways to differen floors of the surround buildings. Have a team of engineering grad students design it and it would be win, win, win all around.

• Elise Vonne Greaham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Parking is probably the biggest issue on our campus. I am in my last year and this has been one of the biggest problems for me to get to class. You have to leave your house/apt. 20-30 minutes earlier in the morning to catch a shuttle from one of the lots to get to your class on time. I understand most universities have horrible parking situations maybe even worse than ours, but we also regularly have below freezing temperatures Oct.-April. Maybe a few big parking garages could be built? I know that's a stretch but it would really be helpful, and I would be willing to pay for the convenience.

• Heather J Roecker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we have as many active RSOs as we do meeting in the Union and Coe and in that area, it's ridiculous that we should have to circle 20+ minutes (not an exaggeration--I just did this!) for parking before we can go meet with our group.

• Madisyn Suzanne Kirby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe some of the "A" parking spaces can be changed to "R" I feel like the "A" lots almost always have space in them, but the "r" lots especially close to the dorms are always full.

• Madisyn Suzanne Kirby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it really hard to ever find a parking place close to my dorm. I suggest having a bus that will take you from the union to the dorms, or to the parking lots (espically in the winter when the weather is worse)

• Samantha Jean Wiseman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A parking structure right next to campus would be really awesome. My commute kinda sucks right now. I would love to walk to campus. The bus lots are really congested at the time I go to school.

• Chelsea Lynn Schnyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an art student, parking around the Visual Arts building is frustrating. The lot in-between the Art Museum and Visual Arts building is for any paid permit; however, the north parking lot require an A or C permit, and is barely used. I would be more than happy to pay $10-$20 a semester to use that lot, so I don't have to carry my projects from a half mile down 22nd.

• Brandon Jack Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not limit parking along Ivinson or 9th though. For students who live there it is already a hassle getting a parking spot there any other time. I do agree with a parking garage/lot that is closer to campus.

• Carissa Elise Poindexter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue of residents not belong able to find a spot is awful especially during the day when people who do not live on campus park in the spots on frat row and in the dorm lots. It would be nice if only residents could buy resident passes.

• Tucker Wayne Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The college could make a huge amount of money off of a parking garage. Build it NEXT TO CAMPUS so we can walk without riding the bus. They could also develop a tiered system of paying. For example, build a section that has electrical outlets for diesel vehicles in the winter, then charge more for that parking. Allow pay-by-day, by week, by month, by semester, or by year.

Feedback and Knowledge Base