I suggest you ...

Allow Student Health Services to write doctors notes for illness.

Many professors require a doctors note for excused absences. However, Student Health Services has a policy against it. If you only have the student medical insurance, you would have to pay out of pocket to see a health professional to get a note. This is a burden on students. Correct the system, either allow Student Health Services to write excuses, or prohibit professors from requiring them.

418 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Noah Clayton HullNoah Clayton Hull shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  asuwgovAdminasuwgov (Admin, University of Wyoming) responded  · 

ASUW Director of Diversity and Outreach has been hard at work completing initial research on this issue. She has put together a Status Report which details her endeavors so far. This Status Report also details the current actions by the University of Wyoming Dean of Students Office to address Student Health concerns all together and can be referenced here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxvHE7ovI2jQZFp4TklZd1VaVHc/view?usp=sharing. The ASUW Student Government will continue to coordinate with the Dean of Students Office in order to ensure these endeavors are handled effectively. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the ASUW Student Government at asuwgov@uwyo.edu.

ASUW Director of Institutional Development Robert West

4 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kyle H ClaysonKyle H Clayson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. I failed a class because I had mono and missed. I brought it to my Professors attention and since I didn't have a doctors note, I was left out to dry. That means a couple hundred dollars wasted and a ton of time waste.

• Alex Christian RickertAlex Christian Rickert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an incredibly flawed policy. Why should it be so difficult and expensive for the student to prove that they had a legitimate excuse for being absent? We should be encouraging students who are ill to stay home in order to prevent others from getting sick and help them recover more quickly... Yet the current policy pressures students who are ill to try to attend class to avoid losing points. This hurts everyone.

• Annette Estella HeinAnnette Estella Hein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea. I think there are far more responsible students who only want to do the right thing than irresponsible students who take advantage of the system. I don't think it's fair to penalize everyone for a few irresponsible actions.

• Madisyn Suzanne KirbyMadisyn Suzanne Kirby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it really hard when I miss a class because I had to go to student health, because the teachers always want to see that you really were at the doctor and they would like it excused especially when they have participation points for the class. It would be really nice to just at least have proof, because the dean of students office can't do anything about medical absenses.

Feedback and Knowledge Base