I suggest you ...

Improve snow and ice removal

Despite the plowing in parking lots and brushing the snow off of sidewalks, the left behind snow and ice is very dangerous every winter. I lose track of how many times I have seen people fall every winter. There are places on sidewalks during the winter where there is no way to avoid the ice. Parking Lots also need to be more clear of ice as people need to be able to get to their vehicles safely. The safety tips for walking on ice and the number to call for problem spots is not enough. There needs to be more of an effort for avoiding problems spots all together. This is a serious safety concern for the UW community and visitors on our campus.

359 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Emily Elizabeth Angelica De WettEmily Elizabeth Angelica De Wett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  asuwgovAdminasuwgov (Admin, University of Wyoming) responded  · 

The ASUW Student Outreach and Policy Committee has been hard at work completing more in depth research on this issue. Senator Kadi Cooley from the College of Arts & Science, the Chair of this Committee, has put together a Status Report which details this research. Please reference the Status Report from Senator Cooley for details regarding the research done by and recommendation of the Committee to improve to the snow and ice removal process at the University of Wyoming campus here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxvHE7ovI2jQZFJhN0VmSnhyVzA/view?usp=sharing. The ASUW Student Government will now attempt to implement a few of their recommendations to improve the snow and ice removal process. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the ASUW Student Government at asuwgov@uwyo.edu. We will periodically update this issue with any progress made.

ASUW Director of Institutional Development Robert West

6 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Marisol MosquedaMarisol Mosqueda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Buy snow boots that have very good traction. And get ready to Walk On snow. This helped me a avoid accidents. in the long run you save On pain and medical bilis. Hey i still have mine. I used mine for five years.

• Kyle H ClaysonKyle H Clayson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a student who grew up in Wyoming I understand the difficulty in keeping sidewalks clear, but I also broke my ankle while at the University and getting around on crutches with that ice is super dangerous. I strongly suggest the tunnels be re-opened. We pay enough in to staff them with security, and the University gets enough money from the state that we should be able to afford it.

• Tyler BalstadTyler Balstad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about something as simple as giving students the option to clean it up themselves? Maybe keep snow shovels, flatheads, and some tamping posts at a few of the colleges? I'm confident that most people would either think that they wouldn't have time to remove ice and snow themselves, or that it would be too difficult. Maybe between the more than 10,000 students here, a few people would bother to take the initiative upon themselves.

• Tucker Wayne HamiltonTucker Wayne Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't forget you are living in a state where there is a significant presence of WINTER. I am rather impressed with the snow removal system. I agree that the brushes they use to brush snow are indeed "ice polishers" and often make it worse than walking on the snow.

Check out Solar Roadways. They are currently experimenting with parking lots made out of solar panels. These panels include heating elements that melt snow and ice and a drainage system to drain the resulting water. Their goal is to eventually experiment with highways.

• Jason Dean CombsJason Dean Combs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually think that the school does a decent job of dealing with the snow and ice. Yes there are still spots where it is dangerous but I think that is just part of life in Wyoming. To attempt to keep the entire campus clear is just not feasible at times.

Feedback and Knowledge Base