I suggest you ...

Smoke Free Campus

There are now 1,477 smoke free campuses in the United States, with 975 of those being tobacco free (http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/smokefreecollegesuniversities.pdf). It would be great to see this policy implement on our campus, including e-cigs.

510 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jessica Lynn PapkeJessica Lynn Papke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  asuwgovAdminasuwgov (Admin, University of Wyoming) responded  · 

ASUW Director of Governmental Affairs Chris Ryan has been hard at work completing initial research on this issue. He has put together a Status Report which details his endeavors so far to issue an official survey through the University of Wyoming Institutional Review Board for Protection of Human Subjects and can be referenced here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxvHE7ovI2jQUWozUjBKZVM4WmM/view?usp=sharing. Once a survey receives final approval by the UW IRB for Protection of Human Subjects, the ASUW Student Government will monitor and gather data from the survey. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the ASUW Student Government at asuwgov@uwyo.edu. We will periodically update this issue with any progress made.

ASUW Director of Institutional Development Robert West

5 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark A DevenneyMark A Devenney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep getting emails stating that I support this idea. I do not support this idea. I think that existing laws regarding smoking areas be enforced. I do not believe that the University of Wyoming or students supporting this idea have the right to infringe on citizens of the State of Wyoming right to smoke so long as those who do smoke follow the laws regarding where they are allowed to smoke, for example, 10 feet from a building entrance. To infringe on the right of people to smoke would be facist to say the least. I oppose this idea and if it ever became a regulation I would challenge it in court.

• Stefanie J KrausStefanie J Kraus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While non-smokers have to be taken into account, the smokers have rights, as well. School is stressful enough without people telling us that we're not allowed to smoke, one of the few things some of us have for stress relief. I have no problem being restricted to a certain area, a certain area by EACH and EVERY building, but prohibiting it entirely will not eliminate it. Smokers will keep smoking on campus whether it is allowed or not.

• Mark A DevenneyMark A Devenney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I oppose this issue. As long as a person smoking is more than 10 feet from a building entrance/exit, it is his/her right as a citizen or resident of Wyoming to smoke. Banning it, when it doesn't affect anyone as long as existing laws are obeyed is a draconian measure that effectively tramples the rights of others.

• Heather J RoeckerHeather J Roecker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there problems associated with e-cigs? I don't see any reason to ban them, but I also don't know much about them. Personally I hate cigarette smoke and walking through clouds of it (especially between Coe and the Union for some reason it's especially bad lately). I don't mind e-cigs but I'm also not aware of if there are any negative effects of secondhand e-cig smoke.

• Paige Miranda WeilerPaige Miranda Weiler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a wonderful idea. So many people have asthma or other lung conditions that become problematic when they encounter second hand smoke. Not to mention that second hand smoke causes to many problems for the people around it and our environment. http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/
    Wether we ban smoking on campus or just enforce strict designated smoking areas, this is something that needs to be seriously considered.

Feedback and Knowledge Base